Skip to main content

THAT’S A TERROR.

‘Lá Feile Brigid faoi mhaise duit’ I said to your man.
We were up in the low hills above Ravensdale with Jim Loughran the local Sinn Féin councillor. Jim is a wise man. This is his home patch. It is very beautiful. He knows every inch of it and every body in it.
‘Happy Saint Brigids Day’ I repeated to your man.
‘To you too mo chara’ he replied.
‘Brigid was a mighty woman’ I said. ‘we don’t know near enough about her. Today is the first day of Spring. The Celts marked February 1st as the festival of Imbolc. It announced the arrival of new life. A turning point in the Celtic year. February was the Mí na Féile Bríde. The month of the Festival of Brigid’.
‘That’s a terror’ Jim .
They say that a lot around these parts. At least that’s what it sounds like. A terror. Or it could be a tarra. Anyway terror or tarra this blog hasn’t a notion about what it means. There was a friend of mine in New York who was coming home last year to visit his ancestral home in the Louth/Armagh border country for the first time.
‘You know they have a saying there ‘That’s a terror’ that they say all the time in response to nearly anything’ one of his New York buddies warned him. My friend arrived home and dutifully told the story to his long lost cousin at their very first meeting.
‘That’s a terror’ his cousin agreed.

So I wasn’t surprised at Jim’s use of the phrase. It a bit like some Belfast people saying ‘what about ya? By way of a greeting. All localities have their own little phrases. Many of them from the Irish. In Dublin the greeting is ‘What’s the story’? In Derry its ‘Well’. I like ‘Dia duit’ (God be with you.)
When I was younger we used to say ‘A bully Mickey’ or ‘a bully Jimmy.’ Or a bully whoever we were greeting. We never talked to girls in those days which is why I say Mickey or Jimmy. Our acquaintances were male gendered only. Girls came later.
I don’t think Saint Brigid would have approved. She was a wise woman who upheld the rights of all women. She secured women’s property rights, freed women slaves and organised vulnerable women. She certainly would not have allowed male domination or men only associations.
‘She was a weaver. A peace weaver’ I told your man.
‘ Distinguished women were given that title in the olden days’ Jim informed us.
‘Such women were sometimes married into their enemy’s tribe to weave peace. These women had great negotiating skills’.
‘Saint Brigid did a lot of peacemaking work. She was a famous weaver and an authority figure in her time.’
‘Aye luk at her cross’. Your man agreed ‘ whoever would have thought of weaving a cross out of rushes.’
‘Thats the Christian Brigid’ I said. ‘ the abbess and the saint. But there is also the Celtic Brigid, the Godess of poetry,healing and smithwork.’
‘How do you know all this? Your man asked me.
‘I picked it up along the way. And I just read a piece by a woman called Mary Condren. She knows tons of stuff about Brigid ’
‘That’s a terror’ your man said.
‘This isn’t getting the vote out’ Jim reminded us.
‘T hat’s a terror as well’ I said ‘Beannachtai Bhríd daoibh. The blessings of Brigid to you all.’

.........................................................................................................
Mary Condren ThD teaches at Trinity. She is the director of the Institute for Feminism and Religion.
Instituteforfeminismandreligion.org

Comments

Interesting things about Gerry,The festival. Brigid (also known as Brighid, Bríde, Brigit, Brìd) is the Gaelic goddess of poetry. The say it is the point in the Celtic year that divided winter in half, or marking the half-way point between the winter solstice and the spring equinox.# Bride, Brid, Brig, Bridey, Brigit, Brighid, Briggidda, Brigantia, Brigid, Brighid, Bridget, Mistress of the Mantle
Patroness of: Poetry, Smithcraft , Childbirth and Healing. Make a lot for one woman to carry about. Attributes: Fire. Light, the return of the Sun, inspiration and all skills associated with fire, what a woman . Yes, the womans vote is something always to think on.

Popular posts from this blog

There can be no preconditions

Blog January 21st 10 Apparently the DUP were sitting up at Stormont Castle on Thursday waiting for the Shinners to come and talk to them. Strange. This Blog had told Peter Robinson late the evening before that that phase of our discussions was over. I told him there would be a Sinn Féin national officer board meeting on Thursday and a report from Martin McGuinness on the negotiations would be discussed. The failure of the DUP thus far to come up to the plate during the current round of negotiations shouldn’t come as any great surprise. The DUP are looking over their shoulder at Jim Allister and then there are the ‘secret’ talks between the UUs and the DUP and talk of electoral pacts. That’s their own business and nothing to get too excited about. Except to note they told us they couldn’t do any business on the Sabbath – the very day they were busy on unionist unity business. But lest we forget the DUP was born out of the anti civil rights politics of the late 60s and the firebrand unio...

Remembering Bobby Sands.

In 1973 just before midnight on Christmas Eve, I was caught along with three other comrades attempting to escape from Long Kesh. We were among a large group of men and women interned without charge or trial. My first bout of internment was on the Maidstone Prison Ship in 1972. Internees-the British later called us detainees as part of their fiction that internment was ended – were held in Armagh Women’s Gaol, Belfast Prison, Magilligan, and Long Kesh. In July 1974 I was caught again in another escape bid. Steve McQueen I was not. The following March 1975 I was taken out to court where I was convicted on the first escape attempt and received an 18 month sentence. A month later I was convicted of the second escape attempt and got another three years. Then as the rest of the internees were being released a small group of us nearly got-aways were moved out of the internee end of Long Kesh to the top end of the camp where the sentenced POWs were held. We were incarcerated in Cage...

A Heroic Leader – Joe McDonnell

Memorial to the Hunger Strikers in the grounds of the Roddy McCorley Club Joe McDonnell was great craic. He loved life and had a great sense of fun. He was optimistic, charismatic, a natural leader, and a practical joker. And he was a dedicated and committed IRA Volunteer who 29 years ago on July 8th 1981 died on hunger strike. I first met Joe during internment. We were being held on the Maidstone Prison ship in Belfast Lough. The conditions were punitive and primitive. After protests by us and following the imposition of British Direct Rule it was closed. We were moved to the cages in Long Kesh. Joe was one of hundreds of men and women incarcerated without trial. And although conditions were harsh in the cages he was always cheerful. Later when he commenced his hunger strike, four days after the death of his friend and comrade Bobby Sands, Joe sent me out from the H Blocks a King Edward cigar. Don’t ask me how he got it. Joe was the fifth man to join the hunger-strike. He was 29 yea...